How much bandwidth does a smartphone use? How much bandwidth does an Apple iPad use? How much bandwidth does an Apple iPhone use? February 7, 2010Posted by HubTechInsider in Mobile Software Applications, Technology, Telecommunications, Wireless Applications.
Tags: Apple, iPad, iPhone, Telecommunications, Wireless, Wireless Applications
How much bandwidth does a smartphone use? How much bandwidth does an Apple iPad use? How much bandwidth does an Apple iPhone use?
Wireless operators are struggling to keep up with demand as more people use their phones to check Facebook and watch videos online. Here are estimates of how much bandwidth is used per person for various activities on different phones.
One megabyte is roughly equivalent to one digital book, 45 seconds of music, or 20 seconds of medium-quality video.
Feature Phones such as the Motorola Razr are used primarily to make calls, and they consume littel bandwidth even for web activities because they have stripped-down web browsers. Feature phones and their users tend to consume around 100 Megabytes of data downloads a month, using 4 MB of voice calls an hour, and 4 to 5 MB of web browsing per hour.
Smartphones such as Research in Motion’s popular Blackberry, are used for phone calls, email, and light web browsing. Smartphones and their users tend to consume around 185 Megabytes of total monthly data downloads, utilizing 4 MB per hour for voice calls, and 4 to 5 MB of web browsing.
Superphones are advanced smartphones, including Apple’s iPhone and Motorola’s Droid, that make it easy for people to surf the web and watch online videos, leading to much higher bandwidth use.
Superphones and their users tend to consume around 560 Megabytes of total monthly data downloads, using 4 MB per hour for voice calls, 40 MB per hour for web browsing, 60 MB per hour for internet radio, and 200 MB per hour for YouTube videos.
Tablet computers such as Apple’s newly unveiled iPad are likely to send data use even higher. Th iPad will chew up even more bandwidth than the iPone because of its larger screen. Tablet computer and iPad users tend to consume 800 to 1,000 Megabytes of total monthly data downloads, using 50 to 60 MB per hour for web browsing, 60 MB per hour for internet radio, and 300 to 400 MB per hour for YouTube videos.
|Feature Phones||Smartphones||Superphones||Tablet Computers|
4 MB / Hr.
4 MB / Hr.
4 MB / Hr.
|Internet Radio||60 MB/Hr.||
60 MB / Hr.
Want to know more?
You’re reading Boston’s Hub Tech Insider, a blog stuffed with years of articles about Boston technology startups and venture capital-backed companies, software development, Agile project management, managing software teams, designing web-based business applications, running successful software development projects, ecommerce and telecommunications.
About the author.
I’m Paul Seibert, Editor of Boston’s Hub Tech Insider, a Boston focused technology blog. You can connect with me on LinkedIn, follow me on Twitter, even friend me on Facebook if you’re cool. I own and am trying to sell a dual-zoned, residential & commercial Office Building in Natick, MA. I have a background in entrepreneurship, ecommerce, telecommunications and software development, I’m the Senior Technical Project Manager at eSpendWise, I’m a serial entrepreneur and the co-founder of Tshirtnow.net.
More Articles From Boston’s Hub Tech Insider:
- Twelve Tips For Agile Project Planning and Estimating
- Eight ways to tell if your Project Team is on the Way Up, or on the Way Down
- The Twenty Laws of Testing Computer Software
- What are the qualities of bad software code?
- What is a software requirements traceability matrix?
- What is pattern-based software development? What is pattern-based design for software projects?
- Why Designing for a VUI is harder than designing for a GUI
- The Hub Tech Insider Glossary of Mobile Web Terminology
- The Hub Tech Insider Glossary of Stock Options Terminology
- How many Stock Options should executives at a startup be granted?
- Agile Development In Practice
- What is ‘Management By Walking Around’?
- Boston Area Video Game Companies
- Shopify eCommerce
- Demandware eCommerce
- How to expand your professional network on LinkedIn
- How to use LinkedIn in your job search
- Twitter and network effects
- How much bandwidth does a smartphone use? How much bandwidth does an Apple iPad use? How much bandwidth does an Apple iPhone use?
- What is a product roadmap? What is an engineering roadmap? How do you create a product roadmap?
- What is Scrum?
- What is a “Use Case”?
- What is a “User Story”?
- What is UML? What is Unified Modeling Language?
- What is Indirect Spend?
- What is EDIINT? What is AS2, AS1, AS3 and AS4?